“California Wine Month”
Think you know about California Wine… these fun facts might just surprise you!!
7 Fun Wine Facts
- There are 2,843 Wine Grape Growers in California
- They produce 90% of the wine made in US
- There are 526,000 acres of wine grapes
- These Vineyards cover less than 1% of California land
- California is the 4th Leading Wine Producer in the World
- The other three are Italy, France and Spain
- In a blind taste testing, California Wines outranked some of France’s finest
- California has been in the Wine making business for over 250 years
- Vineyards in Napa Valley date back to 1769
- 3,542,037 tons of grapes in California were crushed/stomped in 2020
- That’s over 7 billion pounds worth of grapes
- There are over 20 different Grape Stomping Festivals in California every year, up and down the coast where you can get your grape stomping on!!
- Falcons protect the grapes
- They’re the line of defense against smaller birds eating the grape crops
- Chardonnay is the leading variety of wine in California
- Followed closely by Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, White Zinfandel and Pinot Grigio
- Under state law, wines labeled as “California” must contain 100% fruit grown in and produced in California.
Are you or someone you know a wine LOVER? If so checkout our awesome selection of wine gifts HERE!