Spooky Things You Didn't Know About Halloween
HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!!
This week we have been getting a lot of requests for Halloween glassware, which has put us in the ghostly spirit! We thought it'd be fun to share some things you might not know about Halloween, as well as
share some of our new favorite Halloween Cocktails!
Have an amazing Halloween and be safe out there!
10 THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT HALLOWEEN NIGHT
- The first Jack-o-lantern's were made out of turnips!
- Are you afraid of Halloween? Then you're one of the thousands who suffer from Samhainophobia, which is the irrational fear of Halloween.
- The world's largest pumpkin was recorded October 9, 2016 in Belgium at a whopping 2,424.6 pounds!
- Americans purchase nearly 600 millions pounds of candy corn for Halloween each year.
- The number one candy for Halloween? It's not Snickers, not Butterfingers... but good ol' Jelly Belly's jelly beans.
- In Hollywood, CA, it is illegal to use silly string on Halloween. It was outlawed in 2004 due to the difficulty of being able to clean it and its toxicity to the environment and will cost you a hefty $1,000 if you're found using it!
- Ever feel like a ghost is watching you? On Halloween, it's believed that loved ones who have passed are watching you through the eyes of spiders
- Famous magician Harry Houdini passed away on Halloween.
- More candy is sold on October 28th than any other day of the year.
- Your ghost costume isn't authentic unless you poop in it. Seriously. Ghosts are believed to keep the same form they had in death, and a side effect of death is defecation.
Find Your New Favorite Halloween Cocktail!
For the Champagne/Wine Lover:
- + 1oz vanilla vodka
- + 0.5oz Triple Sec
- + 1oz Sour Apple Schnapps
- +0.5oz fresh lemon juice
- + 1-2oz champagne
- Green sugar for rim
- Lightly dampen rim of a cocktail glass and dip in green sugar. Set aside.
- Place vodka, triple sec, sour apple schnapps and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker filled with 2/3 ice. Shake until jet cold (about 20 seconds). Strain drink into glass and top with chilled champagne.
Walker Blood Sangria
- +1 750ml bottle red wine
- +2 cups pomegranate juice
- +1/4 cup triple sec
- +2 cups sparkling water
- Pour wine into a pitcher, add the pomegranate and triple sec, stir well.
- Put mixture into the fridge for at least four hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove from fridge and add sparkling water. Stir well, add ice if desired.
For the Vodka and Rum Lover:
Milky Way Martini
- +1.5oz Starbucks Cream Liquor
- +1oz Three Olives Chocolate Vodka
- +1/2oz cream
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Shake until well blended, then strain into a chilled martini glass.
Black Devil Martini
- +2oz. dark rum
- +0.5oz dry vermouth
- black olive / orange sugar
Stir and strain into a chilled martini glass that has been rimmed with orange sugar then garnish with black olives.
Zombie Slime Shooter
- +1oz. vodka
- +1oz. peach schnapps
- +1oz. sour apple schnapps
- +1oz. coconut rum
- +1oz sweet & sour mix
Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker half filled with ice cubes. Shake well and pour over ice cubes into slime rimmed glass.
For the Whiskey Lover:
Pumpkin Spice Punch
- + 1 cup bourbon
- + 3 cups apple cider
- + 2 bottles pinot grigio, chilled
- + 1/4 cup honey
- + 1/4 cup brown sugar
- + 1tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 orange, 2 pears, 2 honeycrisp apple
Thinly slice apples, pears and orange lengthwise. Coat with lemon juice to prevent fruit from turning brown. Add honey, brown sugar, bourbon, apple cider and pumpkin pie spice, stirring gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Top with chilled pinot grigio and serve.
Smokin' Skulls Shot
- +1oz bourbon
- +1/2oz lime juice
- +1/2oz grenadine
- splash of Mountain Dew
- Pour bourbon, lime juice and grenadine into a shaker over ice.
- Shake well and strain into shot glass.
- Drop dry ice chips into shot glass and top with Mountain Dew.
For the TequilaLover:
- +3/4 cup tequila
- +3oz Triple Sec
- +1 cup soda water
- +1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- +4tsp maraschino cherry syrup
- Combine tequila, triple sec and lime juice into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until cold.
- Pour one teaspoon of maraschino cherry syrup into the bottom of each glass. Add a cherry to each glass.
- Carefully pour the margarita mix into each glass until 3/4 full. Top each drink with 1/4 cup club soda.
- +1.5oz tequila blanco
- +3/4oz fresh lime juice
- +3/4oz simple syrup
- Red Wine such as cabernet
- Pour tequila, lime juice, and simple syrup. Shake until chilled and pour into chilled glass of choice.
- Set a spoon at a 45 degree angle barely placed inside of the margarita. The back of the spook should face the ceiling. Pinch the top of the wine bottle with your finger and slowly pour red wine onto the back of the spoon and let it drizzle on the surface of the margarita until you have about 1/4 inch of red wine in the glass.
For Those Who Do Not Drink:
N/A Cemetery Punch
- +2 liters of root beer
- +24 gummy worms
- +1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt
- +1 pint chocolate frozen yogurt
Arrange gummy worms in ice cube tray letting them hang over the edges of the tray. Fill with root beer and freeze at least four hours. When finished take a small ice cream scoop and fill the bottom of a one gallon punch bowl with scoops of both frozen yogurts. Very slowly fill the punch bowl with root beer, which will foam up to create "slime". Float the wormy ice cubes on top of the punch.